Saturday, 13 October 2012

A list of things to do to make me a better artist.


A list of things to do to make me a better artist.

  1. As soon as I get the idea, or any hint of inspiration- FUCKING DO SOMETHING. Draw it, write it, whatever. Don't think "oh ill get it down later, I need to finish re-watching this episode of the office that I have already seen 14 times".
  2. In fact, just watch less TV in general.
  3. If when I start drawing, it doesn't look right instantly, don't act like a child and throw my toys out of the pram, try it again. And again. And again. Until it works.
  4. Balance my hand drawn sketches with the amount of digital drawing I do, I seem to rarely pick up a pencil these days. But when I do it's always something totally new and different that comes out. 
  5. Look at other artists daily. And not just so I can look at them and get myself wound up thinking "I could bloody well do that it's not even that good, blah blah blah". Yes, I could do a lot of the things other successful artists are doing. The fact is though, I am not. And that it is difference. 
  6. Try new things all the time, I'm never going to get good at everything If I'm only practicing one thing. 
  7. Share my art, get the feedback, good or bad, it will give me a kick up the arse.
  8. If I'm not set a deadline by the person I'm working for, fucking make one up for myself. If I'm not set a deadline I simply will not do it, cos I'm a lazy dick'ed.
  9. Paint more. It makes me want to die when I don't get a painting right, but when I finish a painting and I'm happy with it, it's the best feeling in the world. 
  10. When strangers say nice things about my work, I need to remember that they don't have to say nice things, they don't have to say anything at all. They might actually mean what they say. So I should feel good about that. 

7 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful list- I can definitely relate it to myself too. :) Wish you to succeed on being even greater artist. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Things on your list come to my mind a lot, too. I feel like I am having a hard time finding my own style in art or my own niche. But I can tell you definitely have a style of your own going on and it is great! You are very talented so just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - it applies to loads of things not just art! Yes I really need to get over just throwing a picture a way and giving up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should start making a list for myself! Number 1 relates me :)

    Found you via Passion Fruit Ads

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 is so important! I do that too. I haven't painted in ages and that one plays a huge part in it...

    Nice post!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are rules that I really need to live by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...